HMRC, UK Gov and EU Information
Official documentation and guides.
- HMRC Twitter FAQ
- VAT MOSS 2015 Seminar Videos
- The VAT MOSS portal - looking at the design it appears to have come directly from 1997 but it is new information.
- Explanatory Notes for the new legislation (PDF)
- Gov.uk: Supplying Digital Services and the VAT MOSS
- Gov uk: Register and use the VAT Mini One Stop Shop
- Digital services suppliers Urged to register for new EU VAT Service
- Q and A from a Seminar held in London in 2014, prepared by HMRC - contains several examples of how the rules apply in dfferent situations
- HMRC YouTube video where they make registering for VAT sound like something completely trivial
Information from tax professionals
Articles and posts from accountancy firms, taxation news sites and so on. Things which we could assume to have professional understanding of how the new rules work.
- A Pocket Guide to VAT on digital e-commerce - a comprehensive guide prepared by VAT specialists
- VATLive information on the changes - this site seems to have quite a bit of good information
- VATLive post about VAT on ebooks
- Information from Grant Thornton - mentions people not currently VAT Registered
- PWC Blog: What are eservices? The PWC site seems to contain a variety of useful information.
- Questions and answers from HMRC compiled by ICAEW
- Tax Nirvana Approaching Fast - a warning that these rules might in future also apply to products
- Explanation of changes from Wayne Neale of Larking Gowen
- FAQ from Balanced Tax Services
Information from third party suppliers
There are a number of companies springing up with services that may help people navigate these problems. Many of these are producing material that is useful. However I felt it work identifying information coming from businesses who stand to benefit from the issue.
- Taxamo: New VAT Rules Your Questions Answered
- Taxamo: EU VAT Compliance: Beware the Web Bots
- Taxamo: Web Stores EU VAT
- Nice microsite from Recurly, covers non-EU businesses too
- Video explaining the changes from Recurly, also demonstrating their solution.
Posts from people trying to implement the rules, angry rants and anything else that couldn't be classed as an official source or any sort of advice but might be of help.
- They didn't know - demonstration that HMRC really did have no idea of the impact of this.
- Selling downloads of your music in the UK? Read this - a post by Steve Lawson on how the rules impact musicians
- In which tax is definitely taxing - a lot of small craft businesses, selling knitting and cross stitch patterns have been caught up in this
- Sole traders, digital products and the EU VAT Reform
- New EU VAT Rules Change the game for digital businesses
- Petition on Change.org - this is EU legislation not a British thing, however I do think HMRC are failing small businesses by not being more proactive in offering advice.
- Post on Rachel Andrew's blog - where this all started
- Opinion Piece on City AM
- Forbes: European VAT 10 Things Online Sellers Need to Know - information for businesses operating outside of the EU
- Post from Happy Berry Crochet
- Huffington Post: New EU VAT Rules Seriously Threaten Small Business
- How VATMOSS is the end of small enterprise in Britain
- EU VAT Changes 2015 from One Man Band Accounting
- Trying to register for VAT MOSS and getting an error? Read this.
- New KDP EU Pricing and what it means for authors
- A group representing the interests of very small businesses met with HMRC, this is a write-up of that meeting
- Everything Web Designers Need To Know About #VATMOSS
- Blog post from Remy Sharp
Forums and discussion
Talk with other people in the same boat. Please remember that advice given on any forum may not reflect reality, avoid making business decisions until you have confirmed the advice.
- Facebook Discussion Group
- Informal advice from a tax professional on the above group
- Discussion on Accounting Web - need to register to view
- The VATMOSS hashtag on Twitter